Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Enthusiasm

Hello again,



Today is day three of writing in here, and I have to say that I'm still sort of figuring out how to navigate in here and what I actually want to do with this. That said; yesterday I was so excited about my fear speech that I realized I had left out some things I wanted to say and that I had made some grammatical errors; I realized I could not go in and correct once I posted.

Regarding fear again; I think that I left out an important part and that is that when we are fearful we sometimes are because of the unknown, but if we knew everything there was to know on a project than we might over think it and never start it in the first place. For example, child birth and child rearing. If you knew the pain of child birth beforehand (obviously if you are male this doesn't apply) would you go through with it? If you knew how hard it would be to raise children would you do it? I think diving into things is the best way to overcome fear, at least for me.

Now that I've cleared that up I wanted to write about enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is defined as a feeling of excitement or exuberance: overflowing with eager enjoyment. That about sums up the feelings I was having yesterday with my brilliant speech about fear. I was so utterly excited that I left things out and made errors. My enthusiasm was my own worst enemy because I wasn't paying attention to the details.

What comes to mind is a funny movie called A Christmas Story. Maybe you've seen it, if you haven't I recommend it. There is a scene where the little boy in the story is daydreaming in elementary school about a theme he has to write. His daydream is about how brilliant his theme is but in reality it wasn't quite what his teacher thought was so A+. I had to laugh at myself for my own enthusiasm yesterday and realize that I need to curb it- get it- Curb Your Enthusiasm , which also happens to be one of my favorite shows. I can see Larry David now writing an episode about a writer who thinks they are wonderful but maybe they are not.
Then again we need enthusiasm to try new things. I am always enthusiastic in the beginning of new projects. This is also a new year which is a time for new years resolutions. We start out gunge ho for our resolutions only to find that we may not be able to keep them. Which brings me to my next point; baby steps.
Baby steps is how I am approaching writing. By using this blog and writing something each day I am closer to the goal of really becoming a writer and living the writers life.

Kelly
p.s. I am almost done with my latest story. I should finish in a day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment